Meeting times

MONTHLY MEETINGS: (Except January) Meet 2nd Tuesday at 7:00 pm CT. Barfield Crescent Park's Wilderness Station, 401 Volunteer Road, Murfreesboro


Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Fortress Rosecrans- Tony


I decided to go for a Sunday walk so I parked at the Murfreesboro Greenway Trail head at Cannonsburg and walked the greenway along the Stones River and Lytle Creek to the Fortress Rosecrans.

Fortress Rosecrans is an earthen fort in two sections (Lunette Thomas, the smaller and Lunette Palmer, the main section) that was built by General Rosecrans as a defense for the Union during the Occupation of Murfreesboro and is part of the Stones River National Battlefield.

The Fortress was a huge undertaking for the Union Army and there was NEVER a shot fired during the occupation of the fort which served not only as a Union defense, but also as a cache storage and supply area. It was like a small town hidden behind these walls.

After taking in Fortress Rosecrans, I went back the way I came on the greenway back to my car at Cannonsburg. I'm guessing that the whole hike was maybe two and one half miles.

Pictures:

No comments: